When teeth are crooked, it can lead to low self-confidence and prevent you from fully smiling, In addition, poorly aligned teeth can also cause a number of oral health issues, such as TMJ disorder, increased tooth decay, and teeth grinding. Dr. Woodard and Dr. Kryszan offer a variety of orthodontic treatments, including traditional braces and Invisalign® at our professional and friendly dental practice to help patients achieve a straighter smile.
At Brian E. Woodard DDS, we want to help you improve your smile. If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of orthodontics, contact our Grove City, OH office today via email or by calling (614) 875-9500.
Why a Straighter Smile is Significant
Teeth that are misaligned and overlapping are difficult to keep adequately cleaned. Even patients who diligently follow a regimented oral hygiene program are unable to prevent plaque buildup from developing between teeth. Although visiting the dentist for a professional cleaning will help you maintain a healthy smile, when there is malocclusion within your smile it can increase your risk for cavities, gum disease, and other conditions, such as improper jaw placement.
Are You a Candidate for Orthodontics?
The best candidates for orthodontics include patients with good oral health who still have most of their teeth. Below are the different conditions that orthodontics can help repair:
- Crowded or overlapping teeth
- Crooked teeth
- Widely spaced or gapped teeth
- Open bite
During your consultation, Dr. Woodard and Dr. Kryszan will perform a detailed examination of your teeth, gums, and jawbone using x-ray technology to determine the degree of dental misalignment and health of your smile. If there is any tooth decay detected, they will first address those with a tooth-colored filling treatment. In cases where there is severe overcrowding, they may also recommend a simple tooth extraction to make room for teeth to shift into proper alignment. After discussing all the preparatory treatments necessary and orthodontic treatments available, impressions will be taken and a customized treatment plan created to meet your unique needs.
Types of Orthodontics We Offer
- Traditional Braces: This orthodontic treatment uses metal brackets made from stainless steel, arch wires, and ligature elastics (“rubber bands”) to apply mild pressure to your teeth in order to shift them into proper alignment. Brackets are positioned on the front surface of the tooth with a safe and sturdy adhesive, then linked with flexible arch wires, and secured with ligature elastics. Over the course of treatment, teeth will be gradually realigned as the arch wires are tightened during follow-up appointments. The overall length of treatment will depend on the extent of dental misalignment, but in most cases, can be completed after 18 to 36 months.
- Lingual Braces: Similar in style and function to traditional braces, where lingual braces differ is in their placement. Lingual braces are applied on the back surface of teeth as a discreet alternative to metal braces. Rather than pressure being applied on the front surface of teeth, as the arch wires are tightened, the pressure will be applied from the backside in order to shift teeth into proper alignment. Treatment time is similar to traditional braces, and can last anywhere from 18 to 36 months.
- Invisalign®: This treatment is growing in popularity amongst adult patients interested in discreetly straightening their smiles. Invisalign® consists of a series of virtually invisible, customized clear aligner trays made from smooth, BPA-free plastic. Each aligner fits seamlessly over your teeth and will be worn up to 22 hours a day for two weeks before upgrading to the next tray in the series. One of the primary benefits of this treatment is its subtlety. Trays can also be easily removed so you can enjoy all your favorite foods. Having the option of removing the aligner is also beneficial for patients who have an important meeting or presentation. Invisalign® is recommended for mild to moderate cases of dental misalignment and treatment can be streamlined in a shorter amount of time compared to traditional braces. Treatment can generally be completed in three to 12 months.
Don’t let another day go by! Contact our Grove City, OH office today online or by calling (614) 875-9500 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Woodard or Dr. Dr. Kryszan to dramatically improve the appearance of your smile and boost your self-confidence.